Tata Institute of Fundamental Research
- Published on 02 May 2010
The TIFR is the brain-child of Homi-Bhabha. He founded the institute with the help from Sir Dorabji Tata Trust in 1st June, 1945. After 1956, the Government took control of the Institute from the TATA trust. Today, more than 99% expenditure of the Institute is borne by the Government of India.
"It is the duty of people like us to stay in our own country and build up outstanding schools of research such as some other countries are fortunate to possess."
The TIFR has been divided into two divisions, TIFR schools and TIFR centres.
- School of Mathematics
- School of Natural Sciences
- Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics, Mumbai
- Department of Condensed Matter Physics & Materials Science, Mumbai
- Department of High Energy Physics, Mumbai
- Department of Nuclear & Atomic Physics, Mumbai
- Department of Theoretical Physics, Mumbai
- Department of Chemical Sciences, Mumbai
- Department of Biological Sciences, Mumbai
- School of Technology & Computer Science
TIFR Centres :
- National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), Bangalore
- Centre for Applied Mathematics (CAM), Bangalore
- National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA), Pune
- Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education (HBCSE)
Ph.D and graduate programs
The TATA Institute of Fundamental Research is India's premier institution for advanced research in fundamental sciences. The Institute runs a graduate programme leading to the award of Ph.D. degree, as well as M.Sc. and Integrated Ph.D. in certain subjects. With its distinguished faculty, world class facilities and stimulating research environment, it is an ideal place for aspiring scientists to initiate their career.
The Graduate Programme at TIFR is classified into the following Subjects - Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer & Systems Sciences and Science Education. It is conducted at the Mumbai campus and various National Centres of TIFR.
Please visit the respective department website to know more about the programs.
Visiting student research program
The students who have completed a year of their master’s program get an opportunity to work on a research project at TIFR during the period mid May to July each year.
The students will get the opportunity to work in areas of Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, and Physics (Astronomy & Astrophysics, Condensed Matter Physics & Material Sciences, High Energy Physics, Nuclear & Atomic Physics and Theoretical Physics). The programmes are held at the Mumbai campus of the TATA Institute of Fundamental Research as well as at the National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA), Pune.
Please click here to know more about this opportunity.
Contact: Click here